Monday, April 12, 2010

Adoption Day

Today was adoption day. We made it final with China.
Okay, where do I start? Marshall got a rash from the cast so bad that Darrel had to remove the cast. That was interesting. I took pictures of his skin to show the Dr.
Emma slept through the night with her dad and woke up not with a smile, but at least not with tears. It was more like the cold shoulder. We went to get dressed and Emma is a lot bigger than we imaged. None of the 4T I brought fit her. I wish I could say they are to big because then she could at least wear them at some point. Her jeans were so tight she gave skinny jeans a whole new meaning. The shirt is so short but the girl has to wear them until I can get her some other clothes. I went to Wal-Mart and was only able to get her one pair of pants. She may have to wear her P.J's LOL Wal-Mart was an experience! I was so excited when I saw the isle of chips and bought a can of Pringles but when we got back to the hotel and I busted open the can, they were disgusting. What a waste of good chips. They have no idea what they are missing. We did however get KFC for lunch and took it back to the hotel. We ordered the family bucket which consisted of 5 pieces of chicken, hot wings, corn, and bread. We were starving, busted open the chicken, and there were only 2 pieces of chicken, 6 hot wings, one piece of corn, and some bread. What the heck. I guess they figured we would not be checking.LOL Emma however ate a cup of noodles and Ramen, oh and the one piece of corn. I guess our girl was starving. We stayed in the room for the afternoon and I tried to lay Emma down for a nap but she freaked out. She wanted her new shoes on so I let her get up knowing that she was so tired, but I figured it was not worth the fight. Emma continues to horde everything new that I give her. All her hair clips are in her pocket, which right now is about 25 or so. Her pockets are so full. She has not asked for her back pack that she came with but it is no different with all the new stuff she has received. I put all her coloring books and stuff in a bag and she carries it around. When we went to the Civil affairs this morning, the director and the nanny that brought her yesterday were also there. Emma did not cry for them, all though she did come up and kick me and the director scolded her. She immediatly went over and stood next to her brother and grabbed his hand. It was that moment I knew she was going to be okay. Thank goodness she is not bigger or wearing steal toed shoes.

10 comments:

  1. Glad things are somewhat calm. Just keep showing her that she will get her things back and eventually she won't feel the need to stuff her pockets. My sister is still seeing a bit of that in her son, but it is slowing down.
    She is so precious! I love that picture of her eating her noodles! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Renee - hang tough - you'll wear her down eventually, and like you say - in the meantime keep the boots away from her! ;). Yeah - the snack food in China doesn't get it - but the fries aren't bad - and try Pizza Hut - it's really WAY better than American Pizza Hut! And in looking at the pictures - OK - there's a smile there....keep up the good work!

    Hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Emma! I can't wait until you get home. Love, Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you! I hope you come home safely. Love, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you! I hope you get home safely. Love, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a great time in China. Love, Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might want to hold off on the pink cowgirl boots. LOL Do your best to not take her treatment of you personally -- it is so hard! But you know that her entire world has been turned completely upside down -- nothing is familiar to her anymore and it will get even more foreign when you get on that final plane home. Can she get any more beautiful??? Don't forget about the dumpling restaurant under the WalMart when you get tired of half-American food. If you are looking at the front door of WalMart, it is down some steps to the left. Order at the counter and then check out the round tables downstairs. The best meal we had in Nanchang by far! And, BTW, if that girl is a horder, then she got the right Mama. She won't believe her eyes when she gets home and sees her room! She won't have enough pockets to fit it all. :-) Love you! There were lots of heartfelt prayers going up for you all at prayer meeting last night, even by people who have never met you. God is good! Get home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAng in there, the first few days are always rough but by week two you will see a big difference I imagine. Good that she likes her brother and a great time for them to bond. our Emma was all about hair things in China and even at home she loves them! See you all when you get home.
    gene

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day at a time guys...you are making baby steps in the right direction!
    How does Marshall's arm feel?
    Told you Walmart was interesting....at least it is not Christmas and you hear 'Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way" repeated a billion times at the speed of the Chipmunks singing! LOL
    Every day will bring something new to the adventure and you will break through the protect candy shell.
    My cousin - adopted from Korea - was very much into holding on to everything. It comes with security and attachment. Emma will eventually feel safe and know that you are her family - but it will be after you get home.
    remember to rest....you will need every bit of your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey, I will be so happy when everyone lands safely in the NC! Michelle, mom and I have loved following your blog. I can hardly wait to see her but I know it will still be awhile. You are such a good mom she will come around, besides she has been with women and girls all of her life, it is new and fun to have a daddy!!! I am so proud of you, Darrel, and the boys for opening your hearts to this little precious girl. oxoxoxox Mummy

    ReplyDelete