Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Freezing in China





We woke up this morning and we were able to see our breath in the air and realized that we were all freezing. I tried messing with the thermostat to see why it was so cold in the room, come to find out that according to China Winter is over and the heat is turned off. WHAT! The poor boys, sleeping on the floor with the itchy blankets, does not make me feel any better. It does not help matters that when we left NC it was 90 degrees, so packing seemed only logical that we would need one pair of pants and the rest shorts or capris for me. No, it has rained everyday since we have been here and freezing, freezing cold. I sit here typing and I can hear my daughters chest rattling from her cold and I hate that I did not pack any cold medicine. I packed everything else 2 boxes of pepto, two boxes of anti diarrhea, two things of tums, some motion sickness, Motrin and Tylenol but no darn cold medicine. I did however go to the RX here with the guide and got some stuff that if it taste as bad as it smells we are in for a world of hurt. It was very difficult to get Emma to take it so tomorrow will not be fun at all. We did walk down to the super market this morning because we were going stir crazy. I took pictures of some very interesting things. We did however get many comments on the fact that we were all wearing shorts and capris, oh except for Marshall he did have a pair of pants. Darrel's and Dillon's pants were still at the laundry. Women would come up to Dillon and open his jacket to see how many layers he had on. Thankfully we did have him put three shirts on. We had Emma wear the PJs and then the one pair of pants we bought her at Wal-Mart, a shirt, sweater and a jacket so thankfully we were covered for her because believe me they were checking her out and eager to scold us. After the market we headed to the local museum and toured the artifacts but who am I kidding we just walked around and let the kids pose for pictures and talk amongst each other. They were just happy to be doing something that did not involve sitting in our hotel. We then headed towards the indoor playground inside the mall. We were so excited the kids could run and play and we could rest knowing that they were going to sleep good. The only problem was the playground closed down and our guide did not know, so we headed back to the van made and made a pit stop at McDonald's for Dillon. I asked if we could go to the local shopping so I could get some pants for Emma and boy was that a treat. They would hold things up and I would be the honest person I am and say no I don't like all the glitter, no I don't want mickey mouse on it, no I don't like the studs, and the ruffles down the leg. No! Then I would find something I liked and wanted to know how much. Our guide would tell me the price and I would then tell her no with another price, they then would come back with a different price and to not make things hard on Helen I would agree. I did get her 2 more pairs of pants, some leggings and a skirt. We of course went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and enjoyed every bit. Heading back to the Hotel I told Darrel since Emma does not seem to mind that I leave, I think I will get a foot soak. Sherry, the other lady here adopting, had her friend with her and so her friend went with me. For 8 American dollars each we enjoyed an hour and a half massage. I did pay 3 extra dollars, my lady took one look at my feet and said for a few extra dollars I fix. I was thinking I have had pedicures and they can not fix, but hey I will give it a try. My feet are like I have been walking on the beach for a week. That $3.00 was so worth it. We then went to Romo's Italian restaurant and ate dinner. We enjoyed a very nice dinner until Emma had a melt down. I took her to the bathroom which she allowed me to do and does not mind holding my hand when we go to the restroom, but when we returned I noticed a tear rolling down her check and her bottom lip was sticking out. I asked her what was wrong and she held up her pinkie finger and started to cry. The guide asked her what was wrong and she went hysterical, drooling and crying with her tongue sticking out with a stiff body. I was like what the heck. The guide could not get her to tell her what was wrong. I had said that there were incense in the bathroom but I did not see her touch one. We looked for a mark on her finger or a cut of any sort to justify this crying and we could not find one. I even got her some ice and placed it on the finger and nothing. Once she calmed down and Helen was able to talk to her she just said her finger hurt but did not know why. HMM all that crying for something you do not know why. We came back to the hotel, I got her ready for bed and set her on my bed and she started again with the finger. Since I did
not know what to do I put a band-aid on it thinking that would cure all. No. She eventually stopped. Then she started to cry because she thought she was going to have to sleep with me since I had put her on my bed, she wanted to sleep with Marshall again. Now she only wants Marshall, even over Darrel, but then Darrel is next and Dillon, well he has not talked much to her. I know I am not supposed to take it personal and that it will come in time, but it is really hard. Some times she may do something that is one small step and realize what she is doing and take three steps back. Like today she had gotten my sunglasses out of my purse and tried to put them on me, but once her eyes met my eyes it was over she wanted nothing to do with me and went over to Marshall. She even fell asleep in his lap for 15 minutes today, she should be sleeping on my lap in my arms. I also think that since we have two twin beds she thinks that her and Darrel have a bed and I have my own bed. I sure hope at the White Swan we have a queen size bed because I will not be kicked out of my bed when we get home. Oh, before I forget, I had my first experience with the squaty potty. It does remind me Monica of a man's urinal in the ground with just tread marks for your feet. Just be prepared to have your own toilet paper.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite a day! Being a dad (and husband of a woman that was born a 'kid whisperer'!) I very much understand how you feel - it took many days for our three adopted to 'warm' to me...what you are feeling if very natural. And since you already have the 'logcial thoughts' about her coming around it doesn't need to be stressed by me....but do remember this - your dd was abandoned by an adult (actually more than one over the course of her life - the most recent abandonment from her perspective was just yesterday!) - and she doesn't want to bond with another adult so that she has to suffer that all over again. What's the expression - 'time heals all wounds'?

    Hang tough - have a hug - and we'll keep you guys in our prayers!

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Hang Tough! It will happen. And LOL! You know I have 3 and sometimes I feel like I have no bed either :-). We have had a rash of bad dreams lately and oh I wish for my bed to be totally mine! Lots of hugs and I am soooo glad you are having some fun with her, she will start trusting, God has his plan :-).
    Hugs and love--Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang on there Renee....you are the female in the group and she is not going to replace the person she has been attached to all this time with you - just yet. I can't imagine the heart ache you are feeling but I can feel it through your posts.
    I am so sorry to hear that 'winter is over' and the heat is off but you are still getting fabulous looks - and the folks in China are good and giving looks...Steve got a ton in China when he wore shorts and was carrying Emily in the front carrier. It was truly amazing how ugly some of the looks were.
    Enjoy that massage and maybe get one a day....cause mama you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i second what ann said. it'll all happen in good time but remember, these kids aren't normal kids. no matter how well they were treated by the orphanage or foster families, their lives have been anything but normal. and, you don't know how life was for them prior to receiving them. take it all in stride and be grateful that she feels comfortable with the boys. i think that's great! really enjoy reading your posts. i feel like we're back in china again.

    ReplyDelete